Aberaeron was planned and built in 1805 by the Rev. Alban Thomas Jones. It is built around the estuary of the River Aeron, which has been enlarged to provide a small half-tide harbour for recreational craft. The estuary is also crossed by a wooden pedestrian bridge.
The architecture of Aberaeron is unusual in this part of rural Wales, being constructed around a principal square of elegant Regency style buildings grouped around the harbour. Some of the architecture was of sufficient interest to feature on British postage stamps.
Aberaeron is located between Cardigan and Aberystwyth on the A487, at a junction with the A482 leading south-east to the university town of Lampeter.
The shoreline consists of generally steep storm beaches of pebbles, although fine sand is visible at low tide levels. Aberaeron south beach was awarded the Blue Flag rural beach award in 2005.
The climate is mild and temperate, largely conditioned by the proximity of the relatively shallow sea. However, Aberaeron can suffer from occasional winter frosts when cold air descends the Aeron valley from the upland parts of Ceredigion.
You are viewing the text version of this site.
Need help? check the requirements page.